A big issue during the 2012 Presidential elections is the fact that woman are grossly underpaid when compared to their male counterparts in the workplace.
To make matters worse, a new study further confirms this belief, despite differing views from both the Democratic and Republican parties.
The study, published on Wednesday, October 24, 2012 by the Association of University Women outlines how women graduate from college and enter the workforce with salaries that are, at a the one year mark after college graduation, still 82 percent of the salaries male graduates have who left college at the same time.
Researchers Christine Corbertt and Catherine Hill explain in their findings:
The gender pay gap among college graduates starts immediately after graduation. Although men are less likely to attend college than women are, men who do invest in a college education have higher earnings than the women with whom they graduate beginning in the first year out of college.
Among full-time workers just one year after college graduation in 2009, women earned 82 percent of what men earned. This pay gap is not merely the result of women’s choices. Among recent graduates who made the same education and career choices, women still earned just 93 percent of what men earned, leaving a 7 percent unexplained pay gap.
Many people like to pretend the issue of a ‘glass ceiling’ is just an abstract concept made up by women complaining about their salaries. This study paints a different picture. The ‘glass ceiling’ is a very real concept, one that needs to be addressed by businesses employing professional women at different levels in their companies.
Sources: New York Daily News, American Association of University Women
What does the Association of University Women study say about the American workforce? Equal work from men and women needs to be recognized as such.
Both 2012 Presidential candidates, Barrack Obama and Mitt Romney have voiced their thoughts on the very real salary gaps existing between American men and women. Which one do you think will improve these economic disparities between men and women?